Coconut Oil was one of those products.
I didn't understand why I would pay almost $20 for something that I might not even use...
I was very wrong.
There are so many health, beauty and cooking uses for coconut oil and I have tried a few already.
First I had no idea what kind of oil to get - does it look like olive oil? is there a specific brand that is good?
Coconut oil can be found everywhere,-organic store, health food stores, grocery and drug stores.
I found mine at a drugstore.
What to look for
To get the best Coconut oil, look for these terms - "organic", "extra-virgin" and "non-refined" or "unrefined". The cleaner and more hygienic oils are better for multi-purpose uses.
Unlike many other cooking oils, coconut oil is very stable and can withstand high cooking temperatures. It’s perfectly suitable for sauteing, baking, roasting, and even frying.
- Great for baking, stir-fry's or as a dairy free replacement to butter
- In place of melted butter for your popcorn (so yummy!), lobster, and other drizzling needs
- Add some to coffee or a smoothie to get an energy boost
- A tablespoon melted into a cup of warm tea can help sooth a sore throat
Skin care uses
Coconut oil is used in many natural beauty products, and for good reason: It's naturally antibacterial and anti fungal, it's an excellent moisturizer, it can penetrate hair better than other oils, and, well, it smells like cookies.
Coconut oil melts quickly, I take a dime sized chunk, place it in my hands slowly rub my hands together and the natural heat from my hands will melt the oil. Then apply to trouble areas.
- As an eye-makeup remover
- To soothe dry hands
- To lighten age spots when rubbed directly on the skin
- prevent stretch marks
- By itself as a natural deodorant - some people use on its own or add some water
- as a lip balm (Lips feels so soft)
- as a lip gloss
- use on cuticles
- Naturally clears up cold sores
- As a shaving lotion
- Rub into elbows daily to help alleviate dry, flaky elbows
- Make a DIY Sugar scrub (recipe coming soon)
- Make a DIY sunless tanner
Hair Care Uses
Pretty much everyone uses shampoos, conditioners and other hair products on a daily basis. After some time the formulas and ingredients in these products can wear down our hair, causing it to thin, lose pigmentation, become brittle, break and even fall out. Coconut oil can repair this damage because it will still contain the active components needed for healthy hair in their natural form.
- Anti-dandruff treatment - rub oil onto scalp using fingertips leave on for 20 minutes
- as a conditioner
- Hair Treatment - saturate hair with oil, leave on for 20 minutes up to overnight, rinse and shampoo well
- effective lice treatment
- Smooths out flyaway's
- A tiny dab rubbed on your hands and then through hair will help get rid of frizz
- As a cloth diaper safe diaper cream (just rub on baby’s bottom)
- To get rid of cradle cap on baby- just massage in to head, leave on for a few minutes and gently rinse with a warm wash cloth
- As a massage oil
- Apply topically to help skin heal faster after injury or infection
- Some people swear by this - Rub coconut oil on the inside of your nose to help alleviate allergy symptoms
- Can reduce the itch of mosquito bites
I couldn't forget about the furry friends
There are much more uses for Coconut Oil!
Hope you enjoyed :)
What are some of your favorite uses for coconut oil?